With so much emphasis being placed on environmental responsibility, it’s no wonder that electric cars are becoming more popular nationwide. But one thing that may hold drivers back from purchasing an electric vehicle is the perceived scarcity of EV charging solutions. After all, access to charging stations is necessary for operating and “fueling” these vehicles.
EV charging stations are becoming even easier to find while on the road. Not only are residential chargers being installed in home garages and at multifamily properties, but commercial charging stations can also be found nearby all sorts of businesses and other locations open to the public. And that’s exactly what’s necessary for universal adoption of electric vehicles.
In today’s post, we’ll take a closer look at public EV stations, what the data says, and where these kinds of EV charging solutions can be installed.
What Kinds of EV Charging Solutions Are Available?
There are two kinds of EV charging stations: public and private. Private charging stations make up around 13.1% of charging sites in the United States. This number includes charging stations installed in private garages or restricted to approved users. The other 86.9% of charging stations are available to the public and may be found on popular map tools like Google Maps.
However, not all public or commercial charging stations are free to use. Some businesses install EV charging stations as a workplace amenity for employees, so they offer free charging as part of a benefits package. Other businesses use their smart charging stations to charge drivers for electricity used. Cost to charge can vary, depending on location and the type of station. Generally speaking, pricing is set by the station owner, which is why the cost to charge can vary from one location to another. The best way to know the cost to charge at a specific station? By calling the property or confirming with an app like PlugShare, ChargeHub, or SemaConnect.
How Many Public EV Charging Stations Are Needed?
The need for charging stations increases with EV sales. We’ve passed the point of no return: drivers want electric cars. EV sales have already been increasing, and more people are expected to buy electric cars after the end of COVID-19. According to a recent report from Wood Mackenzie, U.S. markets are predicted to install 30 million new charging stations by 2030. Though Europe will hit that milestone first, the United States is set to catch up over the next 10 years. And while home charging stations are expected to lead the charge, commercial charging stations will make a real impact in the coming decade.
Who Should Buy and Install Charging Stations?
With future EV growth in mind, many businesses are now buying EV charging stations and reaping the benefits of owning public charging stations. Not only can paid charging stations provide an additional revenue stream in a parking lot, but they can also boost brand image, attract new clients, encourage customers to spend more time at your business, and support employees who have chosen to go green.
But what types of businesses might install public EV charging solutions? Here are just a few options:
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities
- Restaurant and retail locations
- Pharmacies and convenience stores
- College campuses
- Parking lots and garages
- City-owned facilities
- Commercial office spaces
Ultimately, the availability of public charging stations will help drive EV adoption. You can be part of that eco-friendly movement by installing a station at your business or on your commercial property. For more information, contact your SemaConnect sales manager today.